Your files, documents, photos are important! Because they are stored on your local computer, you need to create additional copy (backup), just in case something will happen to your computer or hard drive will die. Same applies to any website, which is stored on similar computer (server), which may contain hundreds of other websites. Every time you edit something, install new plugins or update your WordPress website, there is a risk that something can go wrong. There are many reasons why this can happen – server failure, corrupted database, bad plugin, etc. And don’t forget about hackers, another good reason why any website needs to be backed up.
So, here is the good reason for you to use WordPress, where core team is very good at keeping the core software secure and up to date. If you miss an update – chances are your website may be hacked, and if there is no backup – you may need to start all over again with design and development. And that’s why backup is crucial. How do I backup my site? Simple – export SQL database in PhpMyAdmin and copy files over FTP. Sounds too technical? Ok, WordPress has got plugin(s) for that, here are some of the best ones tested on WordPress 3.2.1
1. Backup Buddy
– the most complete backup of a WordPress site
– complete website backup, excellent if you use DropBox
– has scheduling available, backs up to your FTP server in zip file
– simple plugin that backs up just database, has scheduling available via email
– real one click backup, both manual and automated backups are available